Monday, March 09, 2009

BBAXN

Just in case you are living in Singapore and love the game of basketball and looking for an amateur league to join instead of queuing up for ball games at public courts which I recently saw, do pop over to bbaxn for your fix.

I used to join many seasons ago playing for the Spartans.




And also from a recent observation of crowding of basketball courts (we couldn't even pay $22/hr for a 7am slot at old NIE indoor court), I would just like to point out in the recent Feb '09's monthly digest of statistic Singapore - the numbers are based on bookings. And not a true representation of the number actually playing the sport. It seems to be that Tennis and Badminton have a huge base of avid players. But that's really because you can't really play these sports in the open without a court.

I still think there is not enough basketball courts in Singapore(I have at least played half the basketball courts in Singapore), especially sheltered ones. In rainy Singapore, and where I live around the catchment area of Macritchie reservior, there is none to be found. Strangely, the east seems to have more sheltered courts, not sure if its because there are more well known basketball school teams there or maybe because they have elections there often and ex-PM Goh is more pro-sports than my local disappearing easy-life-walkover MPs.

Seriously, our Government rather throw money on foreign sporting talents than build more facilities to ensure the citizens can enjoy and play sports which besides a healthier nation, we can perhaps nurture some talents. To think that Singapore Slingers and BBAXN which are private entities, are doing much more for local sports than my supposedly avid Minister of Community Development, Youth and Sports. So I hope they do not neglect basketball based on the stats as released recently. And I also hope we do not need an event like Youth Olympics to boost our own local incubators for sports.

These days, it is known that Sports and play are very important, because they are vital elements in the health, happiness and well-being of children and young people.

Yes I am still young - young at heart!

No comments: