Sunday, November 08, 2009

The Pervasive Growth

This morning I had a nice good run to Bishan to meet up with some new found friends to have a decent 4-on-4 game. Been a long time since I play half-court games. And decided to spend some loose change to get some water.


Picture credit to SNG CHIN SENG, since I cannot find one to take a photo of.
 
It took me 20 mins trying to look for a Mama shop or a nice old provision shop or at worse, an Econ Mini mart. Well I gave up trying as all the old shops that I remembered in Bishan are now replaced with Cold Storage's 24-hr 7-Elevens. I guess I haven't been moving around Singapore. Having to live with $5 packs of chips, I now have to witness disappearing neighbourhood shops and wet markets. I have become unfamiliar with what I lived around me for past 30 years and in a short 3-4 year span, everything I used to take granted for has gone missing.

The price of growth - we lose old flavours to big conglomerates or GLCs. I am becoming a stranger in my own land. Damn, I hate change, but somehow it now seems less painful if I have to familiarise myself in another country.

After the game, instead of running, had a long stroll home...love walking in the clear blue skies on Sundays, help to provoke some thoughts. So more to come...