Monday, November 09, 2009

Learn to shut up

Found a blog entry which reflects somewhat ground views, but it isn't exactly something I am advocating. As I have many foreigner friends and I do support foreign talent scheme by our government - so for my foreigner friends who are trying to settle down here in Singapore, sometimes try to understand from a local perspective and curtail your criticisms...as it is REALLY reserved for us Singaporeans who lived here and undergone the school curriculum; having to purchase out of reach public housing; having to serve 2.5 yrs of army and up to 40 days of yearly reservist training till we are 40 or 50 years of age depending on rank... You see, we are proud of this red dot, but there is much more to be done...and you do not see what we see or hear, so respect us as we have respected you being here. Do learn when to shut up and spare us your disingenuous criticisms. Yes our forefathers were foreigners as well, but they contributed to the nation building through blood and sweat and fought the Japanese invasion on this soil; as am I with my annual army duties, but more often to protect foreign investments more than "real" enemies up north and around. Poor arguments do not justify the fact Singaporeans love to complain...blogging is an avenue for release as studies have shown it helps mentally and emotionally by sharing...so now everyone has to take it like a man and stop bitching about realistic concerns? Have you taken a walk lately in the alleys of Sungei Road or Chinatown? Or are you just another elitist, Wee Shu Min devoid of compassion and  understanding?
A quote from Albert Einstein - "The world is evil, not because of the evil doers but those who see evil being done and do nothing."
In case the entry mysteriously disappears, I read this forum letter sent to ST as well, over the weekend in state newspapers.


ST Nov 7, 2009

Be prouder of this great little red dot

I REFER to Thursday's report, 'Singapore a top choice for migrants'. I am a new permanent resident, and this report not only makes me proud, but also affirms my fundamental belief that Singapore is destined to be a global centre from a financial standpoint and a cultural and social perspective.

After living most of my life in Sydney, Paris and Tokyo, I have embraced Singapore as my home - I never felt so intimate with the other cities.

My only beef with Singapore is that its citizens do not necessarily share my passion for this country. From personal observations, I have noticed that Singaporeans are both competitive and in a constant pursuit to improve their daily lives, whether economically or in some other sphere.

In this challenging environment, it is natural that one loses perspective of the overall big picture, which is that Singapore, a country of about 700 sq km, has come a long way from a backwater trading post to establishing itself as arguably the financial and technological hub of Asia.

Perhaps Singaporeans should be prouder of their country. Cab drivers complain about everything and university graduates I come across talk of saving up and moving to Spain or Italy.

Perhaps it is time citizens took a step back from the frantic demands of everyday life to reflect a little on what their country has to offer - a safe, ecologically aware and technologically advanced metropolis with excellent public transport and infrastructure, a thriving arts scene and a welcoming multicultural local population.

If foreigners from all over the world can see this and are coming to Singapore, why can't Singaporeans?

Sam Ahmed

I guess  this blog will be void of local criticisms when I decided and successfully migrated and go on to blog about new adventures and issues face. But I for one will not be writing to local newspapers of my new country and telling the locals how to live it and stop bitching!