Thursday, May 08, 2008

New lessons

Lately with the markets being so volatile, I started to lose about 5% of my overall portfolio on a Facebook application called FSX, which allows me to trade on US markets using "pretend" money. Though I am still up 6-8%, I have yet to master the arts of losing $, and making it sound good. Well our local newspapers always have something for me to learn.

If you think you bought cheap into some powerful banks companies which you think might be worth something in the future, its called "foresight and business acumen in seizing opportunities".

If you then realised that GIC, Temasek a group of EXTRAORDINARY men took just eight days to decide on investing billions of public $, they must be pretty smart. But then again the company's stock tanked 10-20% months later, a new learning statement was issued by a even more EXTRAPOWERFUL man - Long term investment; 20-30 years.

And then I wonder about this other investment which many have lost billions on, some going in thinking of getting a bargain, and perhaps calling it a seizing opportunity, only to find his wealth almost halved.

When billionaire Joseph Lewis started buying into Bear Stearns last year, most thought he was bottom feeding. It turns out that Lewis was getting in near the top. Lewis holds 11.1 million shares of Bear Stearns. He paid about $1.2 billion for the stake. Its value was only worth $22.2 million when announced to sell to JP Morgan at $2/share. Prior to the Bear Stearns meltdown, Forbes estimated Lewis is the world's 368th-wealthiest person, with a fortune of $3 billion.

The collapse of one of Wall Street’s most powerful banks has deepened concerns about the stability of the financial system.


And ain't UBS and Citigroup also powerful banks? I just hope they can last longer than other powerful banks.

For now I will stick to "pretend" money and buy more AMD shares trading at $6-7 bucks and they were worth $40 a couple of years ago. Perhaps this engineer with no finance background can make or claim to have 600% returns with about a month of analysing of my "hard-earned" "pretend" money and maybe start using long term investment as an excuse; that is if before Facebook gets obsolete in 20-30 years or when USD is no longer in circulation.

Oh by the way, do you think I can apply for a job at GIC or Temasek? Hear the bonuses are good, but then again, I take too long to decide even with "pretend" $. Maybe I should retake a course on Ethics and Public Responsibility; but then again, its my own "pretend" $, I can do what I want - screw transparency.


Anyway these new terms can be used in our daily lives.

Wah, accident again...wait (slowing down the car to be concerned and see if any assistance needed) SCD4567X, wah new car, $2 big $2 small- foresight, this weekend sure strike! ..seizing new opportunities


Come Saturday and Sunday - Wah never open...buy for next week!

If still never strike after months..
Long term investment; 20-30 years, sure make back one!

No comments: