Saturday, May 24, 2008

Medical expenses - thank God I am employed! Part 1

Well a follow up to my fractured finger led me to more revelation on how lowly paid I am, and it's silly to pay to $ for silly fractures if you are unemployed and earn less than $20/hr.

Seriously I did not know private healthcare is so expensive. Luckily I am employed and have excellent medical coverage paid by my company. My bill came up to $388, out of which I detected $10 overcharging, and bargained away another set of inflammatory medication which was charged to me over 300% the selling price to doctors. I refused to pay that (strange b'cos I get full coverage, but the frugal side of me just think its absolute daylight robbery) and also because I still have some at home, so cutting the bill down to $315 of which $200 was for the 10 mins of consultation to tell me repeatedly "don't worry, you will get better" and that I am now suffering from volar plate tear injury.
Anyway how I know I was overcharged is because I used to date a medical sales rep. And what I am about to reveal here will soon allow you to understand why healthcare is so expensive in Singapore. So stay tuned.

Oh yeah and I was prescribed some cheap Thailand shit (which costs under about $0.67 each) and I get billed $1/pill for don't know what reasons I should be taking it for. Because I used to take the set of inflammatory medicine without this cheap Thailand shit which the doctor now prescribed and the receptionist over the counter said it is a must to prevent my tummy from going bad...duh..I think I just got conned.

Anyway the medication is called Xanidine and it is supposedly used for treatment of duodenal and gastric ulcer, oesophageal reflux, Zollinger-Ellison syndrome. Ok so why am I taking it? Damn, I hear someone shouting idiot in the background.

Gotta head out soon, so return for more of Part 2. With pictures and update on my freaking finger fracture and more inside news of medical care in Singapore.

No comments: