Monday, June 15, 2009

Prosperity and growth

Our government and Shitty State Times often claims that with economic growth, comes prosperity. How does one describe prosperity? I personally think if I have supply exceeding my wants, that is prosperity. If I have a million dollars, I should be regarded rich, but if I want to live in Nassim Hills in Singapore, that might just get me a garage. So your wealth is relative to your supply of wants. 1 million in Vancouver should get me a fancy house with spare cash for some investments and a fancy ride, maybe two?!! Which is perhaps why Vancouver is the most liveable city in the world and Singapore scores poorly as the 54th. But trust Shitty Propaganda Times to pull a fast one.




Money is often linked to prosperity, but let's not use money for this example, but a food item - I want more freshly shucked oysters at the Marriott hotel buffet, but with higher growth in their buffets, I have to compete with other customers. Basically the hotel should cater for the increase in growth and demand, and there should be no problem in fulfilling my wants. But these are freshly shucked oysters which quite often have to be freshly delivered and most restaurant do not risk overstocking them lest they become not fresh. And that might explain how 19 of my colleagues, including myself suffered from food poisoning the next day and we linked it to the old stock oysters being brought out for replenishment at the Marriott buffet.

Akin to wants, if I wanted more money to buy that apartment I like near town, but because of increasing expats coming to work in Sillypore, I now have to compete by paying more for that apartment. So effectively I need more money for my want. But with economic growth and uncontrolled foreign talent policy, I now also have to compete with cheaper labour options and therefore not able to ask for a pay rise in an increasingly expensive country. So how do I fare now with this economic growth? I do not get my fancy apartment, I do not get a pay rise, and I am in possible contention for lesser quality in food which can cause a bad tummy.

In some sense I am not prospering and quite possibly not live long with more health care catered to the rich foreigners and increasing stale food.

I am better off migrating to planet Vulcan where I can live long and prosper! Haha and thus goes the irony of prosperity with growth, you can't have both.
(In a distance, I hear the poor calling out - what about us? Do we have the ability to migrate to Vulcan? Can I ask for more pay cleaning tables? Wait, I see a long line of young foreigners waiting to take over my place...prosperity or growth has a price.)

No comments: