Monday, June 01, 2009

Free or cheap stuff

2 rules of thumb to surviving scams and obtaining free/cheap stuff.

1) Never believe when someone calls you or tells you that it is free or complimentary or you had just won a million bucks. Simple sense - there is no free lunch in the world.

2) Never believe in Indian salesmen - check out this scam in Bangkok. The shop I believe is fronted by a Chinese businessmen hiring lots and lots of Indian salesmen to try to sell you tailored suits and shirts, etc and promising you the heavens only to increase the price later or not delivering etc... I was more concern about the quality which sucks big time. And they tell you look at how many salesmen we have..we have even more tailors who can deliver you 3 top quality shirts in 2 hours to your hotel step before you fly off from Bangkok.

Was involved in a Sim Lim Square scam once 5 years ago - the shop name was Hoon Cheong situated on the ground corner floor and was sold an overprice Canon Video camera for almost 40% above the other shops. Same smooth talking by Indian salesmen.

From then on, my dad told me as an experience this commonly known racist joke but I find it came with some truth. Spam me if you want for being racist but personal experience is an honest opinion and this is just a crap joke.

If you have a gun with only 2 bullets and a snake and an Indian salesman is running towards you - who do you shoot first?
I thought trick question that snakes don't run so replied, : "Shoot the Indian!"
Then my dad ask then what about the 2nd bullet?
"Shoot the snake?"...
Answer to that question is "Shoot the Indian salesman again, just in case he is faking it!"

2 comments:

jason ho said...

Aye, the pain when overseas. When looking for a tailor in BKK, best to go to those your friends (not friend) recommend. So it was through my colleagues that I found Pinky Tailor, the best ever man...good service, nice people, and most importantly, not a scam..they even offered me a can of coke man..fwah..

LimPeh said...

I'm calling the ISD on you. How can you discriminate against snakes and compare them to Indians.