Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Do what you have to do, to get what you want!

Was watching the Great Debaters, a film directed and acted by Denzel Washington(acting as Melvin Tolson) and funded by Oprah Winfrey, over the weekend. It was based on a true story of some African Americans educators in the 1930s. With Forest Whitaker acting as James Farmer Snr, an educator at Wiley College, one of only twenty five African-Americans who held Ph.D.s at the time. It was simply a great feel good movie which came across to me with bits of Mississippi Burning and Dead Poets' Society. You simply cannot go wrong with 2 Academy Award winning actors.

Just remember this line in the movie by James Farmer Snr to Jnr:

You got to do what you have to do, in order to get what you want.


This was in reference to him having to do his homework diligently, in order to get ahead in life; which I guess led him to much greatness later in life. I wished my dad had said that to me back during school days when I was playing too much! Haha but then again, in these times, James Farmer Snr's method wouldn't have probably worked and perhaps led to a greater rebellious streak in me.


Do try to get hold or rent the movie to watch.

No comments: