Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Out of Australian NBL

I was about to post a few ideas to end my long awaited Trilogy post on the Slingers, before I get the bomb from the Singapore Slingers' press release. This is hot off the press, just came into my email box. Besides Sydney Kings and Brisbane Bullets pulling out, Slingers have now decided to leave the franchise and possibly taking on the likes of professional teams from Korea, Philippines, Japan or China instead. This is due to the rising travel costs of late due to the shitting fuel surcharges airlines have imposed on travellers to ensure profitability. Which makes it hard to justify flying teams across the oceans to play basketball.

Anyway looks like we have to look towards Slingers Challenge Series 2008/09, where teams go for prize money of $10,000 to pit against our newly formed squad. I was hoping to get a few more zeros and hopefully form my own squad to try at winning! Ha...or at least attract an NBA team over! If the amount is not enough to cover the air travel for visiting teams as well, I really wonder what kind of teams will be willing to travel for a basketball match and how far can it stretch.

No comments: