Monday, February 25, 2008

What's wrong with the Singapore Slingers? Part 1 of the Trilogy Series

Singaporeans are the toughest bunch of people you can find. Local sports have their fair share of going through turmoils of grouses and gripes by the media, the supporters; the fans and the hate groups. Our National soccer team, Youth soccer team, China-born table tennis players, and even our only professional basketball team the Singapore Slingers suffers from shuns and criticism. But without constructive criticisms, no one will grow, or will learn from their mistakes. Unless you are our Water Polo Men's team - dubbed the Golden Boys with their great physique and winning ways (Over 40 years winning streak, Singapore has won every gold medal in water polo at the SEA Games since 1965). You can't really find any critics about them, try google for it! But I bet you one thing, give them some setbacks of losses in the international scene, you will have critics queuing from Yishun to Sentosa (Not that bad, considering our Soccer team has critics from Tuas to Changi -that's 42.8km compared to the other which is about 19km!).



Well 2 Fridays ago, myself and Jason and including Andy, Jean, Alice, Precious, Sara, Andrew, Aaron and Imran on the invitation of Nic were in the Slingers office with Bob, Michael and Ash giving our inputs on how they can help with the blogging experience and also how we felt as spectators and if we can improve the experience of watching a Slingers' game. I feel this is a humbling experience, asking from a bunch of young adults as well as non-basketball players, but it is a bitter pill that is best swallowed. I felt the group in the room were a bunch of people seriously trying to help and give their feedback in the best possible way.


Well except me..I was there just for beer, hahah. As I was late, I did not know which kind soul (think it's Nic) brought the Archipelago beers. Not bad and thank you!



Well I do have my 2 cents worth of comments on this issue on finding out what's wrong with the Singapore Slingers and how can they improve. Normally I wouldn't help out with giving constructive plans on how to aid especially when all I am is someone who flew 10,000 miles to catch the Michael Jordan's last game in Golden State(And yes I am an avid Jordan fan, where I collect his cards, shoes, jerseys, books, posters, DVDs; well every single thing I could grab my hands on. Half my room is room with his merchandise). I am also just someone who plays basketball since I was 9yrs old, having searched and played on at least 70% of basketball courts in Singapore including Ubin and Sentosa. I am also just an avid fan of the NBA, when it was broadcasting only on Malaysian RTM channels during the time Larry Bird and Magic Johnson were playing; and Jordan was but a rookie getting his knocks from the Detroit Pistons. Well the main reason why I would like to give some advice is that I saw this Singapore Slingers Mantra hanging in the room.
Okay I took a bad shaky shot of it. But the Slingers had lots of quotes taken off Michael Jordan and it was used to construct the Mantra, which in case you did not know what a Mantra is, Wiki states it as a religious or mystical syllable or poem, typically from the Sanskrit language and they are intended to deliver the mind from illusion and material inclinations. Well I think they need more practical syllables to deliver them from the losing ways 6-24. I will elaborate my thoughts in a later post which was unshared due to the fact I was stuck in the tight room with too much focus on controlling the beer waiting to get out into the Singapore sewers and into the NEWater bottles.

No comments: