Thursday, April 18, 2013

Hard Knocks

Been wanting to post for a long time, but never having the time or will to complete my thoughts which has been on my mind for a while now. Some days I just want to update on my current busy schedule, travelling a bit for work and home errands. If you follow my other blog, you probably know which countries I have been popping by; and possibly because of that, the blog is gaining traction and views.

An interesting conversation I had with my wife the other day while I was driving and she was lamenting on how a colleague of hers is so mercenary and unprofessional ;and in her industry which I always thought was noble but in recent years, it has proven me otherwise. And me being my usual self of providing another viewpoint, came to conclusion that as much as we wish that life is fair and perfect, it was realistic, practical and cruel; especially living in this country. While my wife relates to me over many times on how naive she was and how I am more "street smart" than her, I would always tell her I am much older and many of my flair for the dangers of the world came about from the university of hard knocks. I too, learn from the hard way.


Life's lessons can come from someone willing to teach you or you get bitten quite a bit. I learn a lot more when I got bitten, because my stubbornness tends to ignore the pleas of my folks. So on possible future parenting, my wife's wish for the kids to be more like me and less like her. I wish kids can hold their innocence for as long as they can, yet I guess we can teach them to fend for themselves and not get bullied.


I remembered my youth when I was playful, imaginative and innocent and often minding my own business; then one day I was bitten on my wrist by one of kindergarten kids sitting just next to me on our first day. I never cried and I never complained to my folks. My mom and her keen powers of observation just noticed the bite marks still sunken in despite some 5 hrs later, and you know what she said to me? - "Was it painful?" I shook my head as I realised I do have a high threshold for pain since young. "Now don't get bullied." The next day and the same kid tried to bite me again, I returned the favor instead and he cried all day and henceforth stay far away from me, I also never told my mom about it. Not sure if it was a proud thing to stand for oneself, but from that day onward, I became a bully or what I would like to call, a defender of justice and I had my own gang/network in kindergarten, primary school and on to secondary school. I pretty much ruled school and the school prefects and my parents never knew that the canes in school had my name on it, thick or thin, whichever I chose.


Perhaps in my innermost thoughts and fears, I wish my kids can pick up their own weapons, fight their own fights; maybe be more like their mother - kindhearted, innocent, articulate, trusting, and humorous. Why be like their father, a humbug skeptic that had a little too much knocks in life...and I foresee more to come...