Saturday, February 13, 2010

What has changed

Today while trying to do last minute spring cleaning for Chinese New Year, I did the usual procrastinating thing...turned on the TV only to find out Starhub turned on all channels for free, all the channels were not scrambled and that led to a little longer procrastinating time. So there was basketball on with the Big 10 going on - Purdue vs Michigan State (Spartans), and during commercials I flipped through the channels and found HBO Family channel showing my favorite romance movie "You've got mail". It brought back good memories when time was lot slower, emails and internet needed a dial tone and that buzzing sound before we got connected; and the world somehow seems a lot less complicated. I missed those times.

So I skipped basketball and stayed with HBO though I think I could remember where I placed that DVD. But it wasn't worth the effort since there wasn't commercials on HBO anyway. This movie came timely as I realised sometimes there is no use going back there, that we all have to move forward. The sense of familiarity is but an escape from your fear of the unknowns. So we have to be brave and hope life throws up a surprise which possibly could turn out good.

Another walk in memory lane, happened last night of free booze and food with a dear buddy of about 16 odd years. We've been through ups and downs in our lives and in a brief moment between beers, we somehow tried to reflect back what has happened over the past years. And we asked ourselves, have we changed? Or has the people around us changed? As we ponder forward on with the new complexities in life, it seems so different from when we were once so free with long hippy hairdos and the only problems we had were from finding our way home during the state of intoxication to where shall we party next. Now we have to deal with issues faced at work, responsibilities at home and even friends. As friends come and go since everyone has their own goals in life, I start to realise why sometimes my parents do not have as many friends as people these days do. Some numbered thousands in their Facebook page while others are contented with double digit figures. Numbers do not seem mean to matter anymore, as I start to value quality over quantity; and time over money; and friendship over material gains. Some friends and colleagues have left the world faster than I can meet them just to say "Hi". So I guess I know the answer to "what has changed", but I am not sure if I know the answer to "is the change for the better?".

All I hope now is that life can be kind to me as I carry on the journey to find the answer for the latter unknown.