Monday, February 15, 2010

Canon Service Centre screwed me over

Was busy with work and wanted to have a quick calibration for my Canon 7D, drove down Thurs to Harbourfront where Canon is located, during lunchtime to pop the camera for a quick check. The end result was disastrous as their service staff screwed me over. Handed them my 70-200mm L  f2.8 IS  lens together with the camera to calibrate as some of my Slinger shots were clearly off with a dark exposure issue during high speed continuous capture mode. Thought everything was sweet as I asked to speak to the technician who calibrated my lens. He mentioned they did not need to take apart the body, just electronically calibrated and even tested out the camera.

Crap..just crap, was informed to pick it up on Friday noon which I quickly pop by just after lunch and came home rushing with errands and pick my mom up and again rushed out for dinner with my buddy. Only realised on Sat when I get to try it out in manual, Aperture or Shutter-priority mode, there is no lens auto-focusing. Only if I turn to auto modes, can the lens be focussed. Clearly the Canon technician did not check thoroughly and screwed me over as I have an automatic DSLR for Chinese New Year. If only I wanted to take mediocre or still shots...well I don't, basically need to do a lot of Photoshopping now to salvage photos. Luckily my sister's boyfriend had a handy 40D to loan me.

Words of advice for fellow photographers wanting to take your Canon equipment for servicing.

1) Always bring your batteries, lens along when collecting back your equipment and test it on the spot before leaving.
2) Try to avoid bringing your camera for calibration, or checking just before festive seasons, photography trips.
3) Never trust the service technician to do a perfect job. They screw up too.

Hate to turn nasty when the service centre resumes operation...I just hope they have a good explanation for how it slipped their minds to actually check like they told me they did.