Monday, May 04, 2009

No Self-respect

Wanted to skip this topic but a recent flip through the state propaganda papers for the past couple of days highlighting how we are viewed by foreigners; be it Jackie Chan or some STB-gratified tourists, to each their own. Personally I think I have every right to judge my country because I live on the island for the past 33 years, and I did my 2.5 years of National Servanthood.

Though Jackie has some property here, and also sought to leave some of his old heritage houses in Singapore after initially being rebuffed by Hong Kong; he has no right to criticize my country.

Jackie Chan criticized Singaporean for not having any self-respect, after he apparently made offensive remarks about Hong Kong and Taiwan Chinese needing to be controlled. He basically said ‘Chinese need to be controlled” else society will ended up chaotic like in Hong Kong and Taiwan during the Boao Forum for Asia.

During the forum’s question and answer session, Chan replied to a question from the media saying “When I go to Singapore, I realize that chewing gum is not allowed there. Why is this so? I found out later that if (Singaporeans) chew gum, they will dispose of the used gum on tabletops, on chairs, and (they) have no sense of self-respect.” According to the newspaper report, he also pointed out that unlike the Americans and the Japanese; “they” do not have that sense of self-respect. And when this is lacking, the government will have to step in.”

Not sure about you but his words seem to imply that that Singaporeans are not as orderly as the Americans or the Japanese??? Duh we are the most orderly bunch of fools in the world...no riots, protests at all, besides occasional tee shirt hoo-huhs. I mean besides the point that we have crazy assembly and public order acts meant to curb the citizens and slapped with crazy fines and law suits. How are we not orderly? Maybe we have taken for granted how our Singapore government has time and time controlled us in every way deemed fit, I do not call it without self-respect, but our citizens are merely doing what they expect will be done - our Government's self righteous, all assuming, unopposed laws and rules will set in soon enough for every problem we have.

Chan also criticised Singapore laws saying, “When you reach Singapore, you must obey its laws, if you are caught littering, you will go to jail right away.”


Jackie seems to be poking fun at our laws by exaggerating the severity of the offense and making sweeping statements about the country and its people. Shouldn't he be thankful that his assets appreciation in our country has made him wealthier? No diss to the star whom I have watched almost all his movies since I was a child, but his recent spate with Chinese around the world, seems to make me think he might be trying to pull a "Arnold Schwarzenegger" stunt. Perhaps a politician role in future? So far Jackie Chan has been appointed promotion ambassador for the 2010 Shanghai World Expo.

Anyway liberty in exchange for stability? There has to be a better compromise. My stance on this - in my previous posts of Price to pay and Human Rights.


I felt that to each their own devices as we Singaporeans can handle all adversities despite all the rules and regulations which bound us. Like all humans, we will survive. In the past, I would be one who would readily agree with Jackie Chan on the stupid banning of chewing gum, seriously, I used to chew gum every single day. There is not a day my mouth will not be moving - perhaps explaining why I whine so much! Ha..but all true blue Singaporeans living here know we always can get gum across the causeway or visiting overseas friends always buy in chewing gum as gifts. The government did what they did to prevent MRT stoppage from kids jamming doors with gum, etc. Basically we are a young nation with no culture, no great history of revolutions. But that does not make us unrespectable as Singaporeans.

I think Singaporeans should grow out of this spoon feeding media and also the complete disdain of useless commentaries. We should live our lives as we are Singaporeans and the government should not bother about how people view us and often take cues from these crap. They should do what is right, only because it is right and the way to move for the future, and not do it because of others. Otherwise, we will never grow out of our shell and truely innovate and embrace globalism.

Lastly, as the world gets more interlinked and closer with internet and travel. We are truely mobile, if we do not like our country, we can find alternative homes in other countries. Immigration/Emigration is not a dirty word, so I hope the government stop putting quitters/stayers down until we truely embrace local talents and the hypocritical, pretentious ministers' kids all move home - those observed actions, perhaps I will agree with Jackie - NO SELF-RESPECT

No comments: