Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Zip it

Was watching this 7pm drama on Channel 8 tonight, and related it with a conversation I had with my colleague today over lunch and realised sometimes it's best to keep your mouth shut.

This "Fire Butterfly" literally translated from Mandarin, not sure what is the Ang Moh name for this HK serial. This lady lost her baby because of some greedy 3rd mother-in-law, yes the Father-in-law has 3 wives! And the show displayed rich tai tais with nothing to do engaging in home politics for the attention of the "Emperor".
So she wanted to find the truth and in the midst of it, wanting revenge, she just told the truth and people all around died from this truth which really has nothing to do with her. Finger pointing came about and her husband and everyone else blames her and I just don't understand what did she do wrong? Why did they not blame the greedy bitch cum mother-in-law?

And as to how akin it is to my lunch conversations with a colleague who happens to be a staunch Presbyterian and very nice person? Well she asked me why sometimes I get so agitated or passionate when it comes to talking about social politics and why I am always finding fault and looking to the greener pastures. I agree with her, every country has its faults and good points. And it really depends on how what we want in life-freedom of speech vs security; "poorly paid" civil servants vs an "uncorrupted" and "apparently efficient" government etc...the list goes on. I guess I have discussed this before. Do we consider this whining or knowledge sharing or just mere casual conversations which perhaps might lead to a little actual thinking?

I feel that many out there do not know what is happening in the world around us today. Everyone is more caught up in they own pretty little world which lost its "no man is an island" definition. I guess who is to blame for wanting to be selfish and just minding your own business. But when I pose a discussion topic over coffee over the weekend with my college female friends who did not know about the latest Public Order Bill which define 1 person as an assembly. Strangely the girls actually cared and asked for more information as they do not want to be arrested for distributing flyers one day and decided that they need to read more. But I bet $10, that when the day is over, they have more to care about office politics and family issues than what goes on in our parliamentary discussions.

I guess most people think that we have a good system which will allow them to just mind their own business and things will always be perfect. So in this case, is it my fault to my colleague that I read more about social and political affairs of the state? And being more open to the truth and sharing with friends is now some sort of a whine? And it is not the fault of those who choose to be ignorant to pretend that bliss will follow? How about the fault of those who allow the system to be the way it is right now, all biased and in one direction. Even if parliament one day passes a bill which says all inheritance after death goes to the state, I bet there will be no furor to prevent it from going through and that till you die, perhaps you expect your younger generation to go fight and claim for what is rightfully theirs.

Just as we now let the world die through blatant wastage from bad designs to greed to just mere carelessness, its every man for himself and someone else will take care of the litter you create, the mess you left, the ignorance to allow the truth to be zipped up because you enjoy that silence.

Sometimes the truth hurts and actions with good intentions or at no fault of yours becomes a liability and thus a good person seemingly becomes a bad one. So we should all just keep our mouth shut. As Austin Powers would have said: "Zip it!".

I shall just care about my own tiny life and let everyday pass by without a noise and enjoy my wonderful family and friends, and indulge in an occasional single malt whiskey which come in nice intricate wooden boxes in Asia's most liveable city with a unbelievable low tax rate!

No comments: