Thursday, September 04, 2008

Overwhelmed by the Big Apple

It was a long awaited trip which I had planned to go since my lil' sis had a job assignment to New York. I needed to get away for a long period to clear my mind as it has been a mind-boggling year for me, which over the next few weeks I will blog about my one month stay here in US as I clear my head and clear through my over 2600 photos taken! If we still live in the film age, that would be at least 72 rolls of film!

I've also brought my mom and aunt over - to do my laundry! Hahah just kidding, my mom and aunt were here to visit some friends and get some shopping done, while I utilised my sister's nearby laundromat! This trip has been an adventure waiting to happen as I slowly fill you in with pictures and stories.



As we arrived in the afternoon, we managed to take a walk to Times Square which was overwhelming. If you're done with visiting the Seven Wonders of the World, Times Square is the next stop, seriously. It is filled with the sights and bustling city sounds. Be it the song sang by the Rolling Stones or the movie starring Michael J Fox - The phrase "Bright lights, Big city" was meant for New York. There are massive posters, billboards, lighted neon signs, projection walls all over buildings. Now I know why it is regarded the best place to be on New Year's Eve.



I was destined to come here. 5th Aug '08 - The day I arrived, my sis who never won the raffles draw in her company, won 2 tickets to the Mets game. Off to the Shea Stadium! The 44-year old Shea Stadium will be demolished later this year to make way for the new stadium just next door - which you can see in the picture above.



We were seated just above the batter's box/home plate which gave us the perfect view of the game. It was the San Diego Padres vs the New York Mets.



The stadium was electrifying and the game was exciting with many milestones. One of which was Fernando Tatis's 100th career home run! He had 2 left homers for the night.



I shall not attempt to recap the game, but the match was exciting as Mets beat Padres 6-5.


Special Met's commemorative Budweiser metal beer bottle

Slowly but surely with some beer and cheese nachos and jetlag, my sis soon caught me dozing off. So we started to make our way out of the stadium. But not before a Met's fan proposed to his girlfriend through the big jumbo board as you seen it in many American movies.


How romantic, every sports fan dream.

With Shea Stadium set to be demolished after this season, fans and collectors can buy seats from the ballpark for USD$869 per pair online at Mets.com. I bet this couple will be buying one for keeps.

I guess what they say about New York is true. Women come to New York for the two L's: Labels and Love. Yes, I caught the movie Sex and the City on my flight back to Singapore, though I refused to catch such chick flicks, and I never watched a single episode of the series, I find the movie actually quite good. And my sis has indeed found a boyfriend within months of her arrival - would I find my L? Stay tuned.

No comments: