Thursday, July 09, 2009

Seize every moment

Lost a friend on 23 Nov 2007. We were born the same year and he was a hardworking guy who was good looking, a commando officer in Army if I recalled correctly, well built and represented Singapore in Dragonboat competitions and unfortunately passed away in one. Found his tribute video made by one of his friend last night on Facebook and it just shook my life - the fragility of life.

IHPT Technopreneurship Champions! (Stephen at the back row kissing a King, and me with the ace up front.

"Photographs are precious memories . . . the visual evidence of place and time and relationships . . . ritual talismans for the treasure chest of the heart." ~ Robert Fulghum


With these pictures comes the constant reminder of his loss to us all.Despite the sadness, it also brought back fond memories like how we first met, and how initially he struck me like a show-off Army "siao-on" crazed guy, often in singlets with muscles bulging out. Only later I started to know him as we stay in the same University Hall and went to the same 1st year class as well, it wasn't all good until we met during 2nd year in-house practical training and embark to win the inaugural competition in our faculty. This was a hardworking guy who is never afraid to face obstacles. I cannot imagine how much more he can contribute to society and how much more he has to live for. All I know is life is short and we never know how much time we all have. And even for the friends or aquaintenances around us, how many more have you not known well enough to have a lasting impression or to even call him a friend?

I had a little discussion lately with another old-newly re-acquainted friend, whom through our car club earlier this year, went to the same car charity event. She used to live in the same hall and block, was even my colleague in my first job, but we hardly spoke or barely remembered each other! So we spoke about the topic of making new friends, as I joined the car club earlier but was keeping a low profile and knew less people than her as I think I have too many, I feel stretched and somehow feel that I am diluting my friendships as the circle widens. But she made a point which I must remember, friends come and go because of different stages in life. Some married, have kids, different lifestyle from mine, they move on. New ones come along and sometimes they fit into your current lifestyle. Your old friends will understand, as friends they will forgive you when you come back. Which reminded me about an old proverb.
"Make new friends but keep the old ones; one is silver and the other's gold"


I can see some friends dropping off due to marriage, kids, change of hobbies and perhaps even the change of cars, and indeed change is inevitable and we need to embrace change as we should embrace life.

Carpe diem my friends.

Farewell Stephen. Though your life was short, I bet you lived it to the fullest and I am glad to have met you.